Are there days when you just want an easy and no-fuss dinner? Of course, you do! Then tortilla pizza is the answer to that! Tortilla pizzas are very easy to make, and when done right have that lovely crunch from the tortilla and all the deliciousness from your pizza toppings! This is one meal that the family will surely love.
This is more a general guide than a recipe, as you can have whatever you want for toppings. Read on!
How to make tortilla pizzas?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Tortillas (homemade, see here for recipe, or store-bought)
- Your choice of pizza sauce (i.e. tomato sauce (this is my favorite), pesto, BBQ sauce, etc)
- Your choice of toppings (i.e. salami, pepperoni, bell pepper, tomatoes, etc)
- Mozzarella cheese (I prefer the purchased grated mozzarella for these as it has less moisture than fresh mozzarella)
- Olive oil for greasing the baking pan
- Baking pan or cast-iron pan (I prefer using the baking pans that came with my oven as I can make 2 tortilla pizzas at a time instead of just one with a cast-iron pan)
- Pizza cutter or big knife
- Spatula to remove the tortilla pizzas from the baking pans
- Pastry brush
How-to make tortilla pizzas:
Preheat your oven to 200°F with the baking pan already inside.
While the baking pan is preheating, prepare the tortilla pizzas.
Get a tortilla and place in on a flat movable item, like a chopping board or cookie pan with no sides. That will make moving the tortilla pizza to the baking pan easier.
Spread the sauce evenly on the tortilla, leaving a centimeter around the edges. Sprinkle the cheese and add your toppings. Don’t put too much as the tortilla is quite thin and might not support the weight of your toppings. An example would be a tablespoon of pizza sauce, a small handful of cheese, 6-8 pepperoni slices, 4 slices of bell pepper and 4 slices of onions. Season with some herbs (we have a Pizzagewürz mix (Pizza herb mix) available at the grocery which is awesome. Otherwise, sprinkle some dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
Once the oven is preheated, carefully get the baking pan out of the oven, drizzle some olive oil and spread with a pastry brush.
Carefully transfer 2 topped tortillas and bake until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling, around 10-12 minutes (start checking at 10 minutes as you don’t want burned pizza!) Cool for a bit, slice and serve.
Our favorite tortilla pizza toppings:
- Raw tomato sauce, smoked garlic sausage, mozzarella, bell pepper, onions
- BBQ sauce, shredded roast chicken, mozzarella, onions, corn
- Pesto, ricotta, mozzarella
- Raw tomato sauce, fresh tomato slices, mozzarella, and basil
Give it a try! Click on the image below to pin so you can get access to the recipe anytime you need an easy dinner!